Engine Repair on the Boat

As you may or may not know, late last year I picked up a 1980 Sea Ray Sundowner 225.  When I bought it, I was under the impression that it just needed some carb work and would be ready for water.  When I picked up the boat, the carb was off of it, and I was told that it had been removed at the end of the last season for a rebuild and the rebuild never got done.  That probably should have set off more warning bells than it did.

Fast forward to the spring when I decide it’s time to try to get the  boat running and in the water.  Only then did I learn that the carb had been removed at the end of the last season of use which was estimated to have been three or four years ago, not the end of the last season as in five or six months ago.  Worse, despite the claims of the previous owner, the engine was apparently left uncovered with the open intake manifold exposed for some time.  Ever wonder what happens to an engine when water is allowed to get into the cylinders and stay there.  Yeah.  It’s not pretty.

I always wanted to learn how to rebuild a motor.  Just not the motor on my new boat.  Ugh.

When I got into the carb itself, I wondered how the thing ran at all…  Here’s a couple pictures of the work in progress.  They are as detailed as they are because I not only wanted to document the fun, I wanted to have an assembly reference if needed.

[Not a valid template]