West Alex Fire was dispatched this evening for a report of a CO detector activation. Shortly after arrival, they requested EMS to evaluate the two residents. Apparently the CO meter went nuts as soon as the firefighter entered the residence. Both residents and the dog were fine. The problem was a malfunctioning gas water heater. The outcome could have been much worse!
LOL. I’ll get through this challenge. Just may not be five days in a row 😉 Anyway, “Post my Favorite Shots” day four of five. July, 2006. The Butler Tool fire. As many of you know, in the “jack of all trades, master of none” category, I am also a firefighter and paramedic. Semi retired at this point, but that wasn’t always true.
I wasn’t on duty at the time, but as a command officer, I responded to a report of a structure fire at the Butler Tool facility which happened to be right across the street from my EMS station. I was the third unit on the scene, and on arrival we had heavy smoke showing.
As an EMS officer, I had the luxury of staying out of the way and shooting pictures unless someone needed medical attention. Over the course of the fire, we actually treated about 10 firefighters, but I still had plenty of time to get shots of the fire as it developed. My images were actually used as part of the federal investigation, but that’s a story unto itself.
This particular shot was relatively early in the battle. The fire developed quickly from the smoke we had initially and my detailed sequence of fire development pictures was one of the reasons they were part of investigation.
Yes. It was arson.
For a number of reasons, I’ll never forget this fire. This image was actually the front page image in the Journal News, with image credit, the next morning. I’m told it was one of the few images they published with credit by someone not employed by the paper. Regardless, it was cool to see it on the front page.
Nikon D70s, f4.5, 1/80. ISO seems to be lost to time. Here’s a Facbook Gallery with some other images from the fire if you’re so inclined…
As I was heading to class at the Middletown Arts Center I noticed smoke ahead. As I rounded the bend, I found Middletown’s finest battling a blaze in a semi trailer. Guessing something was a bit too hot when it was put in there.